Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow Day at BC!!!

Today when I woke up the sky was white, the ground was white, and snowflakes were thickly falling. I walked over to the door and saw that lovely thin slip of paper saying, "We are on a two-hour delay schedule." YAY! When I went to the cafeteria for breakfast, I was informed that all classes were canceled and the school was shut down. An even bigger, YAY!!! So now I have a day to get a lot of homework done. Thankfully, I have Statistics, reading for Dr. Kinney, and my projects... so I should be able to get a lot accomplished, provided of course that I stop typing on here and actually get to work. :)

This storm is supposed to get worse over the weekend and on into next week, so we are waiting to see what happens. I predict that in the future the popular scare will be "global cooling" as global warming is obviously not going on. You know, it is really amazing what people will believe. The bigger the lie, the easier it is to trust it, at least for some people. I've been talking to my friend, Jerry Frech, again and I realized how much I had missed the friendly debates we used to have. Sometimes it seems that people cannot see past their own immediate concerns. We forget there is a larger world out there. I wonder if this is just ignorance, or if people are so arrogant they simply don't care. And always, they turn to the government for the solution to whatever problems they are facing. Can people truly be that ignorant of the past? Unfortunately I believe the answer is yes. History is something that most Americans don't care about anymore. Why? Because if history is known then you have a standard by which to measure current events. With this standard it would become painfully obvious that our much-vaunted "progress" is a thinly veiled lie. It is in the best interests of many powerful parties that people are kept uninformed of reality...because if reality was known, people would be doing something as opposed to following the herd mentality. Or maybe they wouldn't... one can't underestimate the 'public.'

While researching for my current history projects, I realized that propaganda really hasn't changed much. It is absolutely astounding to me what people will say, and what others will believe. For instance, Soviet Prime Minister Molotov's statements about Soviet intentions during the Russo-Finnish Winter War... I was totally flabbergasted. Stuff like that can only be gotten away with because either people don't know, they don't care, or it doesn't fit with their political agenda.

Yet again, I find that in my struggle to turn out a very thorough research paper, I need a couple more books. What is particularly frustrating is that I have located them...but due to them being primary sources and out of print...the prices are a little spectacular. Though, when compared to the prices of modern textbooks, they look cheap by comparison and are of infinitely more value in the long run.

The more history I study, the more I realize how connected everything is. In some way or another, we are all affected to a degree by the changes in the world. This was most dramatically felt by Poland as the Allies kindly left it to the mercy of Germany and the USSR. Then, capitalistic Finland was left to the communist policies of the USSR by the other CAPITALIST countries. Why? In short, because the Allies wanted there to be a second front for a suspected future war against Germany. Towards the end of the war, the Allies were trying to prolong the fighting by promising aid to Finland that would not arrive in time to do anything, but would have the effect of getting Finland severely smashed by Russia. Thankfully, the Finns did what they had to and capitulated with Russia, signing a treaty that left them their national sovereignty.

I realize this post is rambling, hopefully my future blog posts will be much more cohesive. Today I merely wished to write. But now, the time has come for that notorious evil... STATISTICS homework. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment