Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Two Favorite Bible Verses

My brother keeps telling me I should post more, so here I am. Last week before an extremely hectic college semester starts. I have been in a very contemplative mood lately. Sort of distressed you might say. And this reminds me why my two favorite Bible verses are my favorite Bible verses.

"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose" ~Rom 8:28

"Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life." ~Rev 2:10

The verse from Romans reminds me that no matter how bleak life may appear, that God is working all of this for good. That there is a purpose to everything that hurts me now.

The verse from Revelation was Lady Jane's favorite verse and that was originally why I liked it, but over time, it has come to mean a lot to me personally. It is full of hope to draw me onward, and also reminds me of what awaits those who do not persevere. Being a Christian is not easy. The past two months have taught me this. The past week has really brought the lesson home. The crown of life is only given to those who make it to the end. The hope of that crown draws me onward. The fear of not persevering keeps me from looking back.

Both of these verses combined keep me from thinking that God takes pleasure in the pain of His people. From thinking that God is sitting up in heaven just trying to see how much pain I can handle. I remember that He is in control. What happens to me has been planned. With this in view...while I might be crying inside, I can face the world with a smile. Through the grace of God.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like both of those verses. Another favorite of mine is Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.I know, I know, it's a frozen chosen favorite:) But it is so comforting. Actually I find the whole chapter calming and settling.

    Being a Christian is hard especially when you come into circumstances that are a little cloudy. It's tempting to want to view them to your advantage rather than the word of God. Don't we all need improvement and a little bit of biblical encouragement goes a long way.

    You're so right to think of Him when things go sour or a little unsettling. Christ will get you through the hard times and give you strength.

    Thanks for posting, it was an encouragement to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I never am sure about the posts that I write when I am saddened temporarily. But then I remember that reading other peoples' posts on how they deal with bad times helps encourage me. I love your comments. However, the first verse that I mentioned was Romans 8:28. Hehehe. But you have a good excuse for that one. It was VERY early in the morning. How are you and your family doing?

    ReplyDelete